HISTORIC PRESERVATION | SUSTAINABLE DESIGN | CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT
43rd Street Station
Name: Chicago Transit Authority – 43rd Street Station
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Cost: $4 million
The 43rd Street station was built as part of the South Side Rapid Transit’s extension to the Columbian Exposition in 1892. The original station building was a grade-level structure that resembled other stations built as part of the extension. The original brick and stone station house, designed by architect Myron H. Church, was designed with a Queen Anne-style influence. On April 1, 1974, the 43rd station house was destroyed by fire. The new station house, constructed within a couple years, stood in contrast to the original 1892 platforms for several years.
In 1994, the Green Line closed for a two-year rehabilitation. All stations on the line, including 43rd, closed for renovation. This elevated train station platform renovation included handicap access and the ability to cross from one side of the station as well as a light rehabilitation of the station platforms. The station re-opened in 1996.
Images and description courtesy of www.chicago-l.org and www.transitchicago.com. Architectural work completed by Brian Rich at Daniel P. Coffey & Associates, Ltd.