Mr. Rich has published several scholarly articles regarding historic preservation issues, especially focusing on future-proofing historic buildings, including the following:
140312 Future-Proofing, Charters and Standards
140610 Life Cycle Analysis of Future-Proof Building Systems
141104 UW Today – Future-Proofing: Present Protections Against Challenges to Come
141106 Preservation Education & Research – The Principles of Future-Proofing: A Broader Understanding of Resiliency in the Historic Built Environment
141201 Architect Magazine – Future Proofing the Past
150413 NTHP Preservation Leadership Forum Blog – Interview with Brian Rich about Future-Proofing and Historic Structures
150419 BTES Conference: Future-Proof Building Materials – A Life Cycle Analysis
160108 Future-Proofing Critical Water Infrastructure
160609 UW Masters Thesis – Future-Proofing: Seeking Resilience in the Historic Built Environment
- Rich, Brian. 12 December 2013. The 10 Principles of Future-Proofing Historic Buildings and the Role of Computational Simulation Software in Future-Proofing. University of Washington. Unpublished paper.
- Rich, Brian. 28 February 2013. Future-Proofing Principle #10: Local Traditional Materials. University of Washington. Unpublished paper.
- Rich, Brian. 12 March 2014. Future-Proofing, Charters and Standards: The Integration of the Principles of Future-Proofing in Cultural Heritage Policy Documents. University of Washington. Unpublished paper.
- Rich, Brian. 10 June 2014. Life Cycle Analysis of Future-Proof Buildings. University of Washington. Unpublished paper.
- Rich, Brian. 2014. “Why Preserve: A Sustainability Panel Discussion.” Eugene, OR: University of Oregon Associated Students of Historic Preservation.
- Rich, Brian D. 2014. Wells, Jeremy C. and Sheppard, Rebecca J., eds. “The Principles of Future-Proofing: A Broader Understanding of Resiliency in the Historic Built Environment.” Journal of Preservation Education and Research, 31-49 Vol. 7.
- Rich, Brian D. 2015. Future-Proof Building Materials: A Life Cycle Analysis. Intersections and Adjacencies. Proceedings of the 2015 Building Educators’ Society Conference, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT. Gines, Jacob, Carraher, Erin, and Galarze, Jose, editors. Pp. 123-130.
- Rich, Brian. 09 June 2016. Future-Proofing: Seeking Resilience in the Historic Built Environment. University of Washington. Masters thesis.
- Rich, Brian D. and Gattuso, Meghan. 2016. “Future-Proofing Critical Water Infrastructure from an Economic and Hazard Resilience Perspective.” Originally published in the Association of Collegiate Schools or Architecture, 104th Annual Meeting Proceeding, Shaping New Knowledges., Seattle, WA. Corser, Robert and Haar, Sharon, Co-chairs. Pp. 636-643.
- Future-Proofing Critical Water Infrastructure from an Economic and Hazard Resilience Perspective (for the International Water Conference, presented by co-author Meghan Gattuso, 2019)
- Catalyzing Business Agility (an Interview with Barry Bettman, 2019)
- Future-Proofing and Panarchy: Adaptive Cycles and Managed Change for the Historic Built Environment (for the Marion Dean Ross Northwest Chapter of the Society of Architectural Historians, 2019)
Articles by others about Brian Rich and Richaven:
- Kelley, Peter. 2014. “‘Future proofing’: Present protections against challenges to come.” UW Today. November 4, 2014. http://www.washington.edu/news/2014/11/04/future-proofing-present-protections-against-challenges-to-come/.
- O’Connell, Kim A. 2014. “Future-Proofing the Past.” Architect Magazine, 38-41. Washington, DC: Hanley Wood, December 2014. (Not included in this appendix due to copyright prohibitions).
- Wiser, Jeana. 2015. “An Interview with Brian Rich about Futureproofing Historic Structures.” National Trust for Historic Preservation’s Preservation Leadership Forum Blog. April 13, 2015. http://forum.savingplaces.org/blogs/forum-online/2015/04/13/brian-rich-future-proofing.
- Minnick, Benjamin. 2020. “Tacoma Municipal Building to get high-wire-act inspection.” Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce. April 27, 2020. https://www.djc.com/news/co/12131600.html